It’s not just the weather that still thinks it’s summer. Bed bugs seem to think so, too! Jeff White at Bed Bug Central says that bed bug season is going into extra innings this year.
What we usually call “Bed Bug Season” runs from July through September–the hottest months of the year. This year bed bugs got a late start, so they are still going strong after they would be slowing down in a typical year.
How can you prevent bed bug infestations?
Bed bugs don’t discriminate–they can be found in 5 star hotels just as easily as student hostels. Awareness is key to preventing an infestation getting into your bed at your residence–
- Check the Bed Bug Registry for any hotel or motel you plan to visit before you book.
- Inspect your hotel room thoroughly before moving in.
- Keep luggage off the floor.
- Unpack outside and launder everything you packed, even if you didn’t wear it.
How do you know if it’s bed bugs?
- Welts that come in groups, especially 3’s–breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Black substances in seams of mattresses, drawers, behind pictures or mirrors.
- Reddish bugs that look like apple seeds.
If you think you might have bed bugs, don’t panic but do act fast. An infestation is harder to get rid of the longer it has been in place and the larger it is. Heat treatment is the best way to eliminate bed bugs quickly and safely. At Alliance, we use ThermapureHeat to eradicate bed bugs in one treatment.
Having bed bugs is embarrassing and can cause a lot of anxiety and loss of sleep from worry. Don’t keep it to yourself! Get rid of bed bugs right away and go back to getting a good night’s rest!