Using bleach to clean up small mold and mildew spots can feel good. It disappears right before your eyes! It’s magical.

Unfortunately, it’s not really gone. At least on porous surfaces.

Bleach gets rid of the mold you can see, but leaves the roots of the mold intact if it is growing on a porous surface. And we know that all mold needs to grow is moisture, food, and warmth. That’s why it loves the bathroom! It can come back in as little as 24 hours.

Using bleach to clean mold also creates toxic fumes. Mold produces ammonia. Ammonia + bleach = If you insist on using bleach on mold, please use it in a well-ventilated area. Those fumes can kill!

What can you use instead? Lots of things which work better and don’t create poisonous gas:

Hydrogen Peroxide
Detergent and water
Baking soda

Turns out white vinegar is good for almost everything!

Generally, regular cleaning (not with bleach) will keep mold in check. But if mold gets out of control, call a professional! Alliance Environmental Group can kill and remove mold anywhere in California. Give us a call before that mold can make you sick, cause allergic reactions or even asthma attacks. Mold is nothing to sneeze at!

Wendy Stackhouse is the Online Community Manager for Alliance Environmental Group and AirTek Indoor Air Solutions. We welcome your comments and questions! For more news and tips or talk to our experts, Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter! For updates on indoor air challenges, Like us at AirTek on Facebook!