Why Is Toxic Mold So Dangerous?
Prolonged exposure to toxic mold can spark health issues. The greater the exposure, the more serious the problem can become. People with mold allergies stand the most significant chance of getting seriously ill from exposure, but anyone can react to mold. Signs and symptoms of toxic mold exposure may include:
– Memory loss.
– Mood disorders and irritability.
– Aches and pains.
Short-term effects of toxic mold exposure will generally resolve when the mold is removed. These symptoms might include watery eyes, skin rashes and other allergy-like side effects. The most worrisome long-term effect of toxic mold exposure is developing mycotoxicosis, or mold poisoning. Symptoms may include rashes, depression and chronic fatigue.
Where Is Toxic Mold Commonly Found?
You can find toxic mold all over any type of building. It thrives in areas with moisture and spreads when it becomes humid and damp. You will find it most often in a home or other building in anything made of wood, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, drywall and carpets. It can also grow on upholstery.
How Do I Know If My Building Is Harboring Toxic Mold?
You can actually see and smell mold, unlike many other hazards. It will look like a black substance and smell musty. However, you shouldn’t just trust your eyes and nose. You can grow immune to the smell if you’ve been surrounded by it for an extended period. For this reason, many people turn to professionals to find and abate mold.
You should test for mold before turning the job over to professionals. Alliance Environmental uses third-party, independent lab tests that uphold licensing and accreditation requirements for mold remediators to confirm the presence of mold. Once mold has been found, you must remediate and remove it immediately to avoid health risks and property damage.
Can You Remove Mold Yourself?
You can try to remove mold yourself, but it’s not a good idea. Professionals have received training in mold remediation and understand the best techniques to get the job done. There’s less chance mold will get overlooked with professional removal.
What Does Toxic Mold Abatement Involve?
Mold removal service begins with removing unaffected items from the room and bagging other items that can’t be removed to protect them from the mold remediation process. The technicians spray the area with biocide, then wait for the liquid to kill the mold. Any remaining mold spores will receive a spray of encapsulating liquid that will stop their spread.
Heat is also a viable alternative to chemicals. Our technicians use heat to:
– Kill mold even in inaccessible cracks and voids
– Kill bacteria that can affect the health of occupants
– Kill insects that can spread mold in buildings
– Dry out affected areas
– Reduce annoying and irritating odors
How Long Does It Take to Remove Toxic Mold?
The answer depends on how long the mold has been growing and how large the affected area is. A mild mold problem could take a couple of days to resolve, while a bigger one may call for a week of work or more.