A new study published this week in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology concluded that moisture and mold indoors are dangerous to asthma sufferers.

The study looked at research done in 8 countries by 17 research teams and found that not only do several types of mold trigger asthma attacks in patients, mold can make it more likely for people to develop asthma if they don’t already have it.

Common household molds are joined by pet dander and dust mites as the major asthma triggers in many homes.

What makes a home more susceptible to mold?

Moisture, whether from leaks, floods or simple condensation is the answer. There are mold spores everywhere, but they need moisture to grow.

“Characterised by typically high humidity, homes with poor heating and ventilation can be a haven for house dust mites and mold. Dampness is one of the major factors affecting the growth of mold inside homes – a problem which has been on the rise as ageing houses are sealed and retrofitted with new energy efficient technology.” MedicalXpress.com

We wish there were a magic way of keeping mold spores out of our indoor environment, but it’s just impossible. The only thing we can really do is keep them at bay. And treat them when necessary–but not with bleach! Bleach makes mold less visible, but it does not kill it. The mold will return.

If you have a problem with mold that has taken hold in your home or other building, call Alliance for mold removal services. Our teams can make your home healthy once more, whether you have asthma or just don’t want unwelcome organisms sharing your space!